Sustainability: A mosaic of many small steps in the right directions
Nevada Geodetic Laboratory, University of Nevada, Reno, USA
Presented on April 18, 2008 at Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY, USA; see the EarthStock page.
Copyright 2008, Hans-Peter Plag
This presentation has the following main parts:
- Introduction: Some preliminary remarks on the sustainability
- Humanity: Our abilities and potentials
- Humanity's impact on the Earth system: we have acquired the power to change the Earth system substantially, we have entered the Anthropocene, but we not learned to wield the power.
- The Challenge: We are facing potential extinsion and we have to become good stewards of the Earth in order to survive.
- Towards sustainability: Do we have the tools to assess progress towards sustainability?
- Can we meet the individual environmental, social, and economic challenges: we have the ethics, concepts, and technology. But do we have the value system and the will to go there?
- What you can do: there are many small steps each of us can contribute in the private, social, and work life.
- Will we make it?